Skip to main content
search
0
 

Dobcross Loom

Dobcross Loom

This power-loom dates from 1934 and was made by Yorkshire loom manufacturers Hutchinson and Hollingworth. This design of loom was manufactured from 1861 to 1970. They were exported around the world, and many are still in use today.

The Dobcross was brought to the Mill by Mealbank Woollens in 1965 when they moved from Kendal. The original machinery used by the Dovers had been sold years before. After Mealbank Woollens, the loom was used by Pennine Tweeds until they produced their the last commercially woven cloth in 1991.

Weaving on a Dobcross Loom

Weaving consists of two sets of threads, the warp runs down the loom with the weft threads running across. The warp is prepared ready for weaving on the warp beam.
The warp threads are then threaded through heddles on the loom and attached to the cloth beam. The weaver creates two pattern chains – a wide chain to move the heddles up and down and a narrow chain to control up to four shuttles as they take the weft threads across the loom.

Each complete movement of the shuttle across the loom is called a ‘pick’. The weaver constantly watches the loom as it is operating, to spot any broken threads. The loom must be stopped and broken threads repaired before restarting.

Close Menu